You're In Brookelynn: Photography Crush: Bare backs/shoulders

Photography Crush: Bare backs/shoulders

Flickr

 Something that I have always loved in an art/photography perspective is a woman's bare body. Yes, I realize that this sounds creepy and sexual, but I don't mean it that way in the slightest. And I don't mean "artistic" photos of breasts and that sort of thing, but more so parts of a woman's body that usually aren't sexualized; A woman's back, clavicle, wrist, the nape of her neck. With all of the self-image issues society gives us at birth, we often forget how beautiful our bodies actually are.
Flickr

Flickr

This was a photo I took a few years ago when I was doing my 365 project, it was one of my favorites. I remember that I put it in a portfolio of mine to show at my graduation party, and when my mom saw it, she said "I don't think you should put this one in here. It's very scandalous." I was kind of taken aback. I guess the fact that I had to take my shirt off to take the picture could be considered as *scandalous*, but I don't think an image of a bare back should be. I suppose a lot of people who would see these images in that light don't see them the way I do; I see bare skin as being vulnerable, graceful, fragile. I see a woman stripped down to what she truly is. It could be an expression of mood, situation, empowerment, anything.

Flickr
Don't be afraid to be vulnerable. Embrace and love yourselves.


*Note: Don't ever type in "bare back" as a search in Flickr or any other search engine only expecting pictures of people's backs...I am now aware that apparently it is also some sort of euphemism for butt sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment